R151003: Copying the RTG Bills Database - V2.27+
If RTG Bills does not exit normally, it is possible for your database to become damaged. Usually this happens if the power fails, or your computer crashes, or someone reboots the computer without exiting the program first.
Sometimes the damage to the database is not serious. The problem may be an internal inconsistency in the database that causes an error message in RTG Bills. Two such problems are these:
- Error opening Bill Index: No permission for 'BillIndex'.
- Run-time error '3022': The changes you requested to the table were not successful . . . .
The first error occurs when you try to print (or view) prebills or bills. The second error occurs when you try to enter a new transaction, such as a new fee or a new payment.
These problems can be solved by copying all of the data from the damaged database to a new one. You can install a small program that will copy the database.
The program offered here is only designed to work with RTG Bills and RTG Timer Version 2.27 and above. If you have a lower-numbered version, go here.
- Right-click the RTG Bills icon and choose Run as administrator. When RTG Bills starts, choose:
File > Update > Yes > Check The Internet For Updates
- Ignore the list of updates. Click the Special button.
- You should see the Special Updates window. Find Copy Database and click that item. A checkmark should appear next to it.
- Click Install to install this update.
- If the update is successful, the program will tell you that one update was applied. Click OK, Close, and Close again.
- Start RTG Bills again. Choose File > Tools from the menu. You should see Copy Bills Database in the list of tools. Select it and click OK.
- The program should appear, with the title Copy RTG Bills or RTG Timer Database. RTG Bills will exit.
- Important: All other users should exit from RTG Bills and RTG Timer.
- Choose the database you wish to copy. Usually this is the RTG Bills database. The database name is filled in for you.
Click Begin and the data will be copied. It may take several minutes to copy the entire database, so please be patient.
- Eventually you should see the message, The database was successfully copied. Click OK.
The original (defective) database is now in the file Rtgbills.bk1.
Click Close to leave the program.
If you have any questions about this procedure, contact RTG.